Thank you for visiting our website! We are a very active club and enjoy ALL aspects of gardening, the outdoors, and floral design.
The Bluebonnet Garden Club of Brenham, Texas was organized and held its first meeting on September 28, 1949. The club became affiliated with National Council of State Garden Clubs, Texas Garden Club,Inc. and the Coastal Prairie Council District IV. The club has a closed membership of thirty active members.
Beginning in 2004, we allowed any member who had been active in the club for at least 10 years and had reached the age of 80 years a choice of becoming a Golden Member. Our five Golden Members continue to pay dues and are required to attend four meeting throughout the year and have a choice of participating in flower shows or serving on committees. Our total membership, including Golden Members, may not exceed thirty-six members. Our four Honorary Members are very special to us as in the past they have been full-fledged members, served on many committees and held board positions in the club. Honorary Members are previous Golden Members who are now unable to attend the required meetings. They no longer attend meetings or other club functions and no dues are required. An interesting fact...our oldest member is in her 90's and has been a member of THIS club since 1955. Truly amazing!
OUR CLUB STATEMENT:
The purpose of our club is to create interest in the cultivation and artistic arrangements of flowers, to cultivate beautiful gardens; to promote civic improvement and conservation in our community and state; and to stimulate friendliness among gardeners. Our members are dedicated to this objective.
Our club is very active in the community. A few of our projects:
- Sponsor Youth Garden Club at Brenham Elementary.
- Give programs on litter control, reclamation and recycling in local elementary schools.
- Maintain the butterfly garden and work with the 4th grade students at Brenham Elementary.
- Provide a garden therapy monthly program at several nursing homes in Brenham.
- Plant a tree in the City of Brenham for Arbor Day.
- Present Yard-of-the-Month Award to an attractive yard within the City of Brenham 10 months of the year.
- Bi-annual "Tip of the Hat" award given to local business for beautification.
- Decorate tables at the annual Chamber of Commerce Industrial Foundation Banquet.
- Decorate tables for the Scott & White-Brenham Hospital Gala.
- Make table arrangements for the Heritage Belles Gala.
- Decorate Unity Theater for their annual fundraiser.
- Place flowers in local businesses for National Garden Week.
- Accept entries for the Horticulture & Flower Show of Washington County Fair.
- Collect donations for the "Seeds for Life" Project.
- Plan and execute an annual Flower Show.
- Published a cookbook in 2017.
NGC Mission Statement
National Garden Clubs, Inc. provides education, resources, and national networking opportunities for its members to promote the love of gardening, floral design, and civic and environmental responsibility.
Texas Garden Clubs, Inc.
Promotes the love of gardening, floral design, horticulture, civic responsibilities, landscaping, environmental concerns, and garden therapy for men, women and children and encourages participation and support in educational programs for both the very young and advanced students. It is the purpose of this organization to preserve, protect and conserve the natural resources of this country and to maintain and enhance the beauty of our lands.
District IV, TGC. INC.
Its purpose is to advance the fine art of gardening, landscape design, and the study of horticulture and floral design; to offer scholarships for horticultural and floricultural education, conservation, and landscape design; to promote involvement of youth in gardening activities; and to coordinate TGC and NGC activities at the local level.
2017 CLUB AWARDS
DISTRICT IV TGC, INC.
FIRST PLACE ~ Butterfly Garden; Yearbook, Website
South Central Region
FIRST PLACE ~ "Protecting the Migrating Path of the Monarch Butterfly"
TEXAS GARDEN CLUBS, Inc. (STATE)
FIRST PLACE ~ Arbor Day, Scrapbook, Website, Campus Clubs
PRESIDENT'S REPORT ~ GOLD Medal 2nd Place
YEARBOOK ~ 3rd Place
Meritorious Service Brookwood Community Garden Therapy